Product warning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snaproll

Reaction score
I'm posting this with a bit of embarrassment, but here goes.
I recently purchased a cornelius keg co2 charger. (I ran out of co2 and had a meeting to go to and couldn't get my bottle filled in time.)
Please read and heed the directions completely. I assembled the unit with co2 cyl and then tried to install on my keg and in the proccess I also triggered the cyl. As I was trying to install the keg fitting on my keg the ball lock fitting exploded and the insides of the unit struck me in the throat.
The impact was so hard it almost knocked me down and the pain was incredible. I now have a swollen neck and a very tender spot just below my adams apple.
I can only imagine what the outcome would have been if it had of struck me in the eye.
HAD I FOLLOWED instructions to the T, I wouldn't have had this happen.
The produce warning is not as good as it could have been.
I have notifide the distributor.

snaproll said:
I'm posting this with a bit of embarrassment, but here goes.
I recently purchased a cornelius keg co2 charger. (I ran out of co2 and had a meeting to go to and couldn't get my bottle filled in time.)
Please read and heed the directions completely. I assembled the unit with co2 cyl and then tried to install on my keg and in the proccess I also triggered the cyl. As I was trying to install the keg fitting on my keg the ball lock fitting exploded and the insides of the unit struck me in the throat.
The impact was so hard it almost knocked me down and the pain was incredible. I now have a swollen neck and a very tender spot just below my adams apple.
I can only imagine what the outcome would have been if it had of struck me in the eye.

Damn, thankls for the warning! I have one of those, and while I haven't had a problem with it yet, I'll be sure to wear safety goggles when cranking it up!

snaproll said:
I can sympathize with your pain/injury, but you said yourself that if you had followed instructions the accident wouldn't have happened. A warning to the forum to follow the instructions to the letter is appropriate and appreciated, but how can you call this a product warning when it sounds like there was nothing wrong with the product or the instructions that came with it? :confused:

El Pistolero said:
I can sympathize with your pain/injury, but you said yourself that if you had followed instructions the accident wouldn't have happened. A warning to the forum to follow the instructions to the letter is appropriate and appreciated, but how can you call this a product warning when it sounds like there was nothing wrong with the product or the instructions that came with it? :confused:

I read it as a PSA.....he did say that it was due to not reading the instructions, but that the instructions could have been a little more explicit.

Thanks for the info, snaproll......I bet that'll learn ya. :D

The reason I said the instructions could have been better is that they never mention NOT TO trigger the co2 before applying it to a keg.
I have to state that it is hard to make things idiot proof due to the creativity of some idiots. And I never intended to discredit the product, it is what it should be and works great.
And I must admit I was in a hurry and not thinking too clearly, haven't we all been in that situation??:drunk:

Wow, that sucks. You should consider youself lucky. All great artists must suffer.

i actually had an incident with one of those one time....a buddy of mine who sells CO2 asked my if the cartridges screwed into the trigger mechanism, so I grabbed it and took off the case and unscrewed the cartridge and it shot a puff of CO2 out and rocketed to the floor. My own dumb-ass mistake, but I can see where they would be dangerous.

I had quite a few pints in me at that point too.

Update.
I finally contacted the co.that distributes the Cornelius Keg Charger.
They got back to me and have said that they will immeadiately add an additional warning label and then as soon as they can, change the packaging instructions to better inform the purchaser.
They were very concerned and most attentive, and I would add genuine.
Very nice people.
And remember, even if you know better, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS:)

snaproll said:

Got an attorney in the family? I am just kidding, I would be thankful not to be hit in the mouth and taking out a couple teeth.

I was more concerned about my eyes. but that was after the fact. and no I don't have an attorney in the family.
I'd have to disown them anyway. I don't believe in frivolius lawsuits, I was mostly to blame and I know that.
I just wanted to let everyone know that there is a possible danger if used improperly.

I've hit the trigger on mine before installing it and not had a problem. Wonder if it was a defective ball lock fitting. The ball lock should be able to take the full force of the co2 right? Is this the one made by Genuine Innovations? I also have one of their bicycle tire inflaters and use it for purging beer bottles and carboys. It's quite handy.

This is good information. There may be one or two people here <blush> who do not always read instructions carefully. There is a reason why software help desk people coined the acronym "RTFM."

Perhaps my heading was wrong, the product worked just fine.
Yes it is from Genuine Innovations, and It could have been a weak ball lock fitting. However if it happened to me it can happen to you, I would advise not to trigger the co2 into the ball lock prior to putting the ball lock fitting onto the keg. Better yet don't even attach it to the fitting till it is secured on the keg.
There is about 900 lbs of pressure in one of those cylinders, how much should we expect that plastic fitting to accept reliably??
Let me make this clear, I am not condemming the keg charger it works just fine.
All I'm saying is use caution.

Back