Process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davevg

Reaction score
Questions before i start buying stuff.

16 oz Clear E Z Cap Bottles - w/flip cap and washer
or
Press cap bottles

Buy a starter kit or not

Deluxe Brewer's Best Equipment Kit
or
Buy each piece

Kits seem reasionable price wise.

First beer brew???? I like sweet beers. I would love to make an apple beer like Vermont woodchuck beer

Dave

Bottles: I use and love the 16oz amber PET plastic bottles.

Buy a kit...I bought a deluxe model and it was what I needed.

Beer: Go with what you enjoy! I did a Bavarian Wheat for my 1st.

Good luck!

I would think that buying a kit would be the way to go, you should get a savings over buying each piece seperate and they don't usually include things you won't need in the kit. I just started homebrewing and my best option was to buy a kit since I couldn't find anything local at a store. If you already have some of the equipment then you might look at just getting what you need to complete you setup.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Kevin

For my first batch I went dumpster diving for bottles. I was about half way through disinfecting those when I was sure I would never again clean other peoples fermenting back wash out of beer bottles. $12.95 for 24 empty 12oz bottles is a very reasonable price to me.

Also, nobody knows anyone who went back to bottling after they started kegging...

Starter kit, absolutely.

2 cases of bottles for $26, an extract kit for say $30 and a beginner equipment kit for another 50-75, you are going to be paying a lot of money for the first two cases of beer.

But, once you have it in bottles for about a week you are going to start liking it. If you can leave some of it in bottles for four weeks you will probably be hooked for life.

Once you are hooked $250 for a floor standing bottle capper will sound reasonable.

If you can afford it, EZ cap bottles are great. We do a lot of kegging but still bottle batches for mobility. I've been picking up the EZ cap a case or two at a time because they are so much easier and faster to bottle. Don't buy the clear bottles, get the amber to protect your precious beer!

Starter kits are the way to go and you'll save money buying as a kit over individual purchases. I would go with the intermediate kits (or advanced) over the beginner kits because you will end up buying the extra stuff anyway.

Thanks to all for the info. I think i'm going with EZ cap bottles and an deluxe brew kit.

Dave

:mug: Welcome to the obsession! I started out over a year ago. I just started buying 22 oz. brews and told my friends to give me their bottles too. one or two a day for a little while and now I have over 10 cases of them. You will yeild about 26 to 28 bottles in a 5 gal batch. You get a real good idea about what styles you like and pick out a favorite to clone. Tastybrew.com has some calculators that are free to use that will help with recipe calcs. Bader Beer and Wine Supply has some excellent recipes to look at for some of my favorites. Welcome to HBT.:mug:

Back