Process Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluespook

Reaction score
I am going to brew my first extract batch Thursday or Saturday and I'm using a recipe from Extreme Brewing for a 60 minute IPA. The process steps say to ferment for a week or so (don't have the recipe in front of me right now) and then to let it ferment for 10-12 days before bottling. Is this 10-12 days a critical time period? More specifically, I'm wondering if I hurt the final product if I wait, say 16 or 17 days to bottle instead of the 10-12 days. What do you think? I'm going to be out of town and if the beer can't wait, I'll have to put the brewing off 'til I return.

Let your beer sit in the primary fermentation until it stops. Many people have left it in primary for MONTHS. the amount of time your talking about wont matter at all. Let it sit, bottle when you get home. Give the bottles at least 3 weeks, and drink away :)

It will actually be better to wait 17 days instead of 10. You will get clearer beer (more of the sediment/yeast will fall out of suspension) and more aging, which is a good thing.

You will definitely find varying opinions on this, but there are two main ideas to consider.

Many people find success with the 1-2-3 approach. This is 1 week in the primary fermentor, two weeks in the secondary, and then 3 weeks in the bottles.

The idea of skipping the secondary seems to have gained favour recently. So with this approach, you leave the beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks before bottling.

I personally leave mine in the primary four weeks before transferring to kegs. Your beer will be fine to leave in the primary while you are away. There is a risk to leaving your beer on the yeast for extended periords of time, but few have ever run into a problem.

I would not be opposed to leaving it sit in the primary, but for some reason I also prefer to rack to secondary. Also, keep in mind that the listed times are MINIMUM. It's certainly ok to let it sit longer as long as you don't have a problem with airlock. Actually would likely be better that way.

Great! I feel better now, knowing that not only will my beer be safe, but most likely better without me hanging around.

Thanks, all.

Back