Process question re extract oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hfxhomebrewer

Reaction score
Hello all, I am gearing up for my first brew in a while and want to get some input on the correct way to use oatmeal to augment a stout kit.

I plan on using an extract kit to make a basic stout and want to use oatmeal to add mouthfeel and body to the kit. I've been doing some reading and naturally have found a lot of conflicting information, but in the midst is what I think seems to be the right way.....

Use about one pound of oats from the LHBS, along with barley malt, and mash for between 30 and 40 mins at 160 in 2 litres of water, strain the grains and add the mash liquid to the wort and let it rip.

It will be a 5 gal batch.
I am not using instant oats from the grocery store, and I am not looking to add anything but mouthfeel. I did read one post that said the oils in the oats will hamper head formation, what are the thoughts on that?

Until I did some reading I was planning to just steep the oatmeal by itself, for simplicity, but it seems like that wouldn't work?

Thanks for any input!

Latest posts

Back