procedure question {for top-off water}

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FEARDIZ

Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with this procedure? I was talking to a friend and his uncle is doing this. I wasn't sure if it's incorrect or what. He said that they like their beer, so I told him that's all that really matters. But I wanted to check any way..

using extract, after boil they are adding bottled water ( maybe frozen ) to get total to 5 gal and to bring down temp of boil before pitching yeast.

thoughts?

That's pretty much a normal protocol.

when I did extracts, I'd place three 1-gallon jugs of water in the freezer at the beginning of the brew session.

By the time I was ready for them, they'd just begin to ice up.

I'd drop my hot boiling pot into a sink of cold water to give it an ice bath. Moving the pot back and forth between the two sides of the sink with fresh cold water.

This got the temp down to around 110-120 pretty quick.

Then I'd pour two of the cold jugs of water into my carboy, add the warm wort and add the third jug until I got to my targeted volume.

This always got me to 75 degrees.

Bottled water is pretty sanitary so I don't see it being an issue. If you were using tap water then you should boil it well ahead of time for at least ten minutes then chill it before adding it to the fermenter.

There have been discussions about whether or not bottled water is actually sanitary, so I boil mine the night before and stick it in the fridge (I'd freeze it if I had room in the freezer, but I don't).

My top off water comes out of a tap through a PUR filter faucet setup...has been for years...:D

Four gals go into the freezer for 4-5 hours prior to brewing. Two goes into the primary, the 1.5 gal wort goes into the primary and top off to 5.25 gals.

Temp and gravity readings are taken. If the gravity is higher than I expect/anticipated in goes another 1/4 gal. Rarely does it go to 6 gals. :D

One of my first extract partial boil. I chilled in the sink dumped into fermenter. Then used the spray hose on the kitchen sink to top it off. Not the most sanitary but the beer came out OK. And that sprayer aerated the hell out off it.

Back