Problems with swing top bottle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dngros

Reaction score
Hey all

I'm having a bit of a problem in regards to swing top bottles that aren't carbonatiing at all, they are 750ml amber swing top bottles brought from a local home brew store so are brand new. I have a pale ale in them that has been conditioning for about 3 weeks now, and have opened 3 of them to find they are completely flat.

I also have some coopers plastic bottles that came with the kit that I bottled with as well, me and a friend had those after a couple of weeks and they had a fair amount of carbonation that leads me to believe its issues with the swing tops I'm using.

Any tips or anyone else have had the same issues?

Im sure they came with the red washer/gaskets ? right hmmm, are they the same size as your coopers plastics? maybe they need another week... are they stored above 70 degrees

I've used the swings but have never had a problem... they actually worked really good

give em another week

cheers

i have a case of 12 22oz bottles with my american wheat.. i've drank 9 of the 12 so far, 2 of them were quite flat, though they appeared to be sealed correctly.. glad its only the wheat as i have an imperial stout i've been sitting on a couple months in my carboy so i may end up using caps on them as to take no chances..

2 out of 12 (if the other 3 are good) aren't too bad, but should be better

I bought 3 cases of flip tops when I first started out, and after having issues, they are now only used for Cider, since it is still decent still.

You may want to take the cages off and tighten them a big and see if that helps.

I've got a lot of different flip tops.

The cheap cages on the hombrew store bottles often need to be changed to a Grolsch cage. It always works much better after that.

Sometime the white plastic of the swing tops has molding flash on it and this causes the bottles to not seal well.

Back