Problems with pests

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakers1983

Reaction score
I have a few types of hops growing in my backyard and all of a sudden there are hundreds of flies on them. Flies are eating my hops,w hat do I do?

In order to get the best hops grown at home, you need to plant, maintain and harvest the right way. The best time to plant hops is the spring season. You need to water and fertilize the hops regularly. When the vine reaches the flowering stage, hop cones start appearing as well. Home grown hops are more aromatic and bitter than those hops that are bought from stores but one needs to be careful that the pest like spiders or others tries to eat them. One while growing hops should also check over the possibilities that pest can harm so better take precautions before the infestation start. One can ask directly for the help from professional like Exterminator Newtown CT or can also try some do it yourself methods to protect your hops.

Spray mineral oil. It'll wipe out a bunch of the current bugs. And then spray again in a week or so to get the bugs that hatch.

For a more specific/targeted control, you would need to identify the flies and figure out their life cycle (when the next batch will hatch), but spraying mineral oil twice in 10 days should help regardless of the specific fly. You can also get organic mineral oils...

Back