Problems with my first all grain DIPA. What did I do wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpferris

Reaction score
So I have 5 all grain batches under my belt...all IPA. I decided to take a shot at the Pliny recipe that has been floating around from Vinnie at RR. With the recipe, it expects OG to be at 1.072.

From my previous batches, I have been getting around 60% efficiency. So I adjusted the grain bill up via BeerSmith and got it to where I could hit the target OG. This time, I decided to mash with 1.65qts/pound as I read Denny Conn has had alot of success with that.

For a 6gal batch, I normally have a preboil volume of 8.25g (as I lose about 2g to evap during the boild. Since this was a 90min boil, I decided to bump the preboil volume to 9g.

My temp adjusted pre-boil gravity was 1.055. Considering I still had to add 12oz of corn sugar, I figured I'd be in business.

The recipe said to stir in the sugar before you started the boil, so I did that. I completed my 90 min boil, cooled to 67F then checked my OG and only got 1.061. What happened?

I last time I brewed I got 1.063 with no sugar and 1# less grain.

It'll still be a good beer, but I have no idea what might have happened (especially considering my pre-boil gravity and I added sugar).

Anyone help a brother out?

9 gal of 1.055 wort should boil down to 6 gal of 1.083, not even accounting for the sugar added. Are you sure your hydrometer is working correctly?

9 gal of 1.055 wort should boil down to 6 gal of 1.083, not even accounting for the sugar added. Are you sure your hydrometer is working correctly?

I recorded 1.039 @ 139F in 9g of wort before I added the sugar pre-boil. With temp adjust, beersmith says that is 1.055.

I took my OG reading in 67F wort in the conical and got 1.061 directly. I really hope this reading was in error. I even pitched the sample and checked again and got the same number.

I went ahead and pitched two smack packs of wyeast 1056 just in case.

Back