Problems with carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4rdluck

Reaction score
So my first unevenly carbonated batch was annoying. I had 3 small 12 oz bottle bombs, a few super fizzy 22s and like 24 12oz bottles that just didn't carbonate at all even after 4 weeks.

My batch after that carbonated perfectly.

Now I have an imperial stout bottled, and an oatmeal stout bottled and so far it seems i have 4 cases of uncarbonated beer. Its been two weeks and almost always after a week I have heavily carbonated green tasting beer. So far all bottles only give the faintest hiss on opening and are not carbonated at all.

I Have 4 more batches brewing and don't want to bottle anymore beer untill i get this figured out.

I've tried adding 1 teaspoon of corn sugar to each unfizzed bottle and recapping it. I am interested to see what happens with these.

My first batch i just figured i screwed up the corn sugar addition, because I added after racking and didn't stir. given that i had a few super carbed bottles and some not carbed at all i figured this was it...but now i have found any carbonated bottles and i am a little aggrivated.

I can only think that the bottler isn't working correctly, or somehow the corn sugar for priming is screwing up?
temperature is fine, and everything else seems fine.

Maybe i really need to wait 4+ weeks? I don't understand why some of mine are super carbed and ready to go in 4 days though while I am having problems now after 2-3 weeks now.

I've been there before, uneven carbonation and all that. The question I have for you is, how are you combining your priming agent with your beer?
To ensure that you get the most even distribution of priming sugar, I suggest you boil some water, add your priming agent, cool it down in the fridge, add it to your bottling bucket and then siphon the beer into the bucket right on top of the priming solution. that will ensure an even distribution.

I'm not sure if the problem lies in the capper considering you've had some bombs, just make sure the cap goes on square onto every bottle. Hope this helps, good luck with your future brews.

Higher gravity beers take longer to carb. I have had some take 8 to 12 weeks to carb up to a point where I was happy with them. There is also a possibility that your bottle capping technique isn't working well. Some types of bottles don't cap well with the double-handled cappers. You have to make sure you have the visible dimple on the lid to assure that they have been capped properly. I'm thinking about replacing my double-handle capper with a bench capper that should cap everything a little better.

The issue of having some carbed more than others could possibly point to the priming sugar solution not being mixed up well in the beer before you bottle.

Back