Problems with Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewsBrew

Reaction score
I brewed a Bell's Oberon clone on Sunday. In another thread I had mentioned my yeast exploding and I had lost some of it. Well, after about 24 hours I started to get krausen so I thought all was well. At 48 hours post brew the krausen had already started to fall and I have almost zip for airlock activity. My pitching temp was 68 to 70 and it fell to 64-65 (per the stick on thermometer) which it has constantly been at. This is just about room temperature. With almost no airlock activity, no tempurature rise, and a receding Krausen, am I to assume that my fermentation is a dud because I ended up not pitching enough yeast?

As a last ditch effort, I raised the room temp in order to raise the temp in the fermenter so that maybe that would help to get my yeasties working. I did this last night and got the fermenter temp up to about 68 by this morning.

Should I get another vial and repitch? Its the WLP400.

From whitelabs.com:

""Be patient"
By: TJ Vitolo
Date: June 22, 2007
Beers brewed: Witbier
Comments: Very active yeast that yielded a perfect Witbier, but be patient. Pitched the yeast at 72 Degrees. Fermentation was more ferocious than WLP300. Fermentation had ceased in 3 days, but had a huge krausen. I gave it a swirl and had even more action for 2 more days. Swirled it again, and had another 2 days of action. Had about 79 percent attenuation. What it yielded was a perfectly fermented witbier with a light amount of phenols and it was just tart for my taste."

For what its worth.

I agree, use your hydrometer to tell if it is done or not. Your fall in temperature might've slowed things down a bit, especially when ideal temp range for the strain is 67-74

when I get home form work, I'll pop it open and give it a stir....since I've raised the temp a bit. Maybe that will kick start it. I haven't taken a gravity on it as I didn't want to crack it open. I will do that today as well.

give it some time..it obviously had a good fermentation going and just becasue the bubbles stopped and krausen fell does not show it is done..I could very well be done but I would wait a few days and take a gravity reading...

I remeber when I first started out and I would check the beer every few hours and freak out if it haddent started or it started and stopped..now I throw it in the closet and leave it be..in a few days I check that its going and I wait a few weeks before I check the gravity..

Jay

I'd take a gravity reading before you do any stirring.

the low OG on wit's can cause them to ferment very rapidly. Airlocks are a poor indicator that fermentation has become 'stuck' or has 'finished'.

trust the hydrometer. would not surprise me if this one's done.

I've got my second batch of Belgian Wit in the fermenter beside me bubbling right now.
I've found that the top cropping yeast I use is what I term "lazy"
It krausens to the top of the fermenter and stops doing its job.
Since I use a better bottle to ferment, I can watch what's going on.
I don't even break the blow-off seal, I just swirl it every 12 hours. I know this seems like a lot, but every time I do, all the yeast falls to the bottom and has to ferment more sugars to rise to the top again. Then I have to send it to the basement again.
Even with all that, it's tough to get your FG down where you want it. I do make my Belgian kinda big, tho, it OG'd 1.060.
So, my $.02 is swirl it often, it will work.

Back