Problems replacing thermostat in a freezer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knbobick

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Kenmore Elite upright freezer (model 253.26472101) to turn into a fermentation cabinet. I also have a Love TS2 temperature switch and probe. I was ready to replace their thermostat with the new one and found more that I bargained for. This freezer has some sort of circuit board that I assume includes the thermostat. It provides features like an open door alarm, high temp alarm, power failure indicators, and more. From looking at the circuit diagram on the back of the freezer, it seems to me that I can just bypass the whole thing. I wanted to pass it by a more experienced community before I did something stupid.

The wiring diagram is here:
wiringdiagram.jpg

Thanks,
Keith

I may be wrong here, but as far as I can see the easiest way to solve this problem is to buy an aquarium thermostat that is used my many here. Run the sensor into the inside of the freezer, plug the controller into the wall, and plug the freezer into the controller, and whatever you have the controller set at the freezer will follow.

I thought about that. The problem is this freezer has a high temp alarm that will constantly be sounding while I lager as the temperature is not below freezing.

I just re read your post. In a sense, a freezer is like a refrigerator; in that I mean both compressors need a way to be powered up and powered off. It looks like the compressor can be taken out of the circuit bypassing all the electronics. That way there is no power to the alarm circuit. You may want a light and a fan in there, but that's not hard too do either considering they are already there.

Back