problem with mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
so i'm having a mold outbreak, never had a mold problem before. A few days i noticed mold growing on my keg post now im noticing mold growing in my current beers blow off container, i can even smell the mold in my ferm chamber, im about to keg my current batch in a few days hope no mold is growing on the actual beer. Anybody have any tips to keep the ferm chamber/kegerator mold free? i use damp rid but its not working, i quess i just gotta clean my house huh? lol

As someone who has worked in the restaurant industry for quite some time I can tell you, it doesn't matter how clean you think you are, there will be spillage. Beer still has plenty of sugar left in it once it's done fermenting. At least plenty enough to grow fun organisms. Wipe it down with bleach or other form of sanitizer concentration. Make it a routine and you will never notice anything. As a note, it generally starts in the gaskets of refrigeration equipment. The reason it started on the post is because that's where beer was likely to be left between changing kegs. Clean your couplers too.

I've been cleaning kegs that have mold on them. Why? Because I had a spray/blowout in my keezer and any place that the beer landed has grown mold.

Even some of the hoses have mold. It's about time I replace some of them so as a keg kicks I'm getting the hoses switched out, and I'll wipe out the keezer again. As Pi Kapp Beer Guy says, if there's food, you can get growth.

Mold spores are everywhere and you cannot get rid of them.

What you can do is control humidity and wipe up and sugar or beer residue. These simple precautions will prevent growth.

A dehumidifier may be necessary. They have cordless models you can put in your chamber. But a more robust dehumidifier would be helpful for other indoor areas if your humidity exceeds 40%

I just have a little can shaped rockstar energy fridge for a ferm chamber, it only holds one carboy, but when i covered up the fan and made the mistake of using some bamboo skewers and cotton string to secure a slippery silicone bung, I got mold on those materials. It was in the middle of fermenting a lager when it happened so all I could do to stop it spreading was mist it with a bleach solution then every few days i misted a little star san in there to keep the damp surfaces acidified where nothing would grow on them. After that batch came out i rigged up a different setup that doesnt block the fan and wiped the entire inside out with more bleach spray. Its on another batch now, and there is far less condensate and zero visible mold. I credit the bleach spray and chlorine gas it gives off in an enclosed space with eradicating any remaining spores. Good luck with your setup.

Thanks everyone, luckily the beer turned out great no mold in the brew, but im gonna get a dehumidifier in my fridge, i dont want to see mold next to my nectar ever again cheers

Back