Problem with Lauter Tun Opening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enoch52

Reaction score
I'm setting up a lauter tun using a 5-gal round cooler for my first partial-mash (ingredients arrive on Monday) and I just realized that the spigot opening is approximately 1", and all my hardware is 3/8". Is there and easy way to seal the extra space off? Some kind of rubber gasket or stopper or something?

The best way if you have room is to use a 1/2" nipple through the cooler (the OD of the nipple should be very close to the size of your opening). Seal The nipple using SS fender washer over gasket washer. Once the nipple is sealed, you can adapt your 3/8 hardware to the 1/2".

I think I've seen folks use the rubber gasket from the original plastic spigot with smaller nipple sizes. A 1/2" NPT nipple is about 1" outside diameter so they fit fairly well. If you're using 3/8" NPT nipple then you would do well with using the original gasket I mention. HTH!

That's along the lines I was thinking--get a bigger nipple and then just step it down on either side. I can bring the cooler gasket with me to see what size it fits best.

You do want the 1/2" nipple.
Behind the flat washers you do want to use the flat rubber washer AND O rings.
Make sure and fill it and check for leaks.

I'm not sure what your flow will be like with the 3/8" in there, but give it a try and see.

The original design specs I was working from use 3/8" all the way through. I figure it will be fine, even if the 1/2" could handle more. Didn't think about the flat rubber washer, though!

So, working from the cooler wall in, what should be order be? Flat rubber washer (next to the cooler wall), o-ring, flat SS washer, then the t-fitting? (Same on the outside--flat rubber washer against the cooler, rubber o-ring, metal washer?)

I keep seeing stainless steel called for inside the cooler. Is zinc-coated a bad idea?

Back