Problem with cornie post or connector....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bull8042

I like 'em shaved
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let's see if I can explain this clearly. I cannot connect the gas (grey) connector or the beer (black) connector to one post on a ball-lock cornie. However, I can connect both connectors to the other post!?!?!?

Backing up, I just bought a new dual keg setup from keg connection and finished the install last night. It came with two reconditioned cornies, but I only brought one home from work today. So I am currently unable to test fit the other.

My question is this: Even though the pre-installed gas connectors have a grey collar and are labeled "GAS", is it possible/likely that it is in fact a liquid connector. Or would it be more likely the keg has the wrong sized post on the "out" side?

I want to call them tomorrow and see if we can get it straightened out, but I am not sure exactly what my problem is. I am inclined to believe the the "gas" connector is the wrong size, but I would like a second opinion.....

If the o'rings are new you are going to need some keg lube - sanitary food grade petroleum jelly. I have that problem when I rebuild the posts, but a little keg lube makes the connectors slide right on.

Seems as though KegConnection got a shipment of faulty quick disconnects. Someone posted a similar problem a couple of days ago and I responded with the following:

FWIW...I picked up a 2 keg system from KegConnection last week, brought it home and when I was cleaning the kegs and beer lines I ran into the exact same problem on one of the kegs. The gas quick disconnect wasn't going all the way down on one of the gas posts and when I tried to take it off, it was a pain in the ass!!! Everything hooked up perfectly on the other keg. So I disconnected the quick disconnect on the one that worked and tried it on the suspect keg and gas post and it slid on with ease. This eliminated a potential gas post problem and I narrowed it down to a faulty gas quick disconnect. I called KegConnection and talked with the owner about the problem and he said he hasn't seen but a couple faulty disconnects in his many years of business but would be happy to mail out a new gas disconnect to fix the problem. Well, after waiting 5 days for a disconnect to never show up, I ran out to the LHBS and purchased one for six bucks, brought it home, hooked it up, and everything works perfectly!!! So possibly KegConnection got a shipment of faulty disconnects and you and I are the only ones so far that have noticed. I would call them and try to get a new one sent, but there is the possibility the new one will be from the same batch of defects so you might be better off buying a new one from somewhere else. Hope this helps!!!

When I got my kit from keg connection, the gas wouldn't go on properly the first time i tried, I took the post off, poppet out, put back on tight, worked like a charm.

velotech - I took everything apart as soon as I got it and lubed everything judiciously.

Xcuzme - I remember your post, but I couldn't find it last night. I don't know enough yet to make a smart decision. On keg "A", the gas post was the larger of the two. On keg "B", the liquid out post is the larger. So one keg was assembled incorrectly.
One of the smaller posts is notched around the wrench flats which I am sure means something to one who knows.
So..... If the gas post is the small one, then my liquid connectors are incorrect. If the gas post is supposed to be the larger of the two, then the gas connectors are incorrect.
See my problem? My ignorance makes troubleshooting VERY difficult.
I do know that the connectors seem to be the same size and the posts are different sizes. For this reason I am pretty confident that the connectors are the problem, just don't know which.

ruffdeezy - I made sure the poppets were moving freely and made sure there was no pressure on the lines. I am sure there is a sizing issue with the connectors. Just not sure which is wrong yet.

Bull- HB99 always says that the "notched" posts are the gas posts, that's how you can tell them apart.

Call kegconnection today- they really give good customer service- and explain and Todd can help you out. Or, take a picture of your posts and connectors, and post it here. Some of the kegging gurus can help. I'm not smart enough- I can't tell them apart, so I'm really careful not to mix them up!

Bull- HB99 always says that the "notched" posts are the gas posts, that's how you can tell them apart.

Call kegconnection today- they really give good customer service- and explain and Todd can help you out. Or, take a picture of your posts and connectors, and post it here. Some of the kegging gurus can help. I'm not smart enough- I can't tell them apart, so I'm really careful not to mix them up!

Hey, thanks Yoop. i had planned on calling them but wanted to make sure I could explain the situation without sounding like a complete moron.
The notched post is on the gas in side on the keg....and the gas connector fits fine. So it is beginning to look like the liquid connectors are the problem.

Yeah, but he is saying that neither the black or grey quick disc fits on one of his posts. If the posts were just in the wrong place, he should still be able to get a black or a grey connector on it .

+1 for calling KC... they will send you out the correct posts ASAP once that is determined to be the problem! Maybe let them know that this is an on going thing with some of their customers? (if they haven't figured that out yet)

Yeah, but he is saying that neither the black or grey quick disc fits on one of his posts. If the posts were just in the wrong place, he should still be able to get a black or a grey connector on it .

That is exactly right!
I will call KC in 20min or so. Since they are on the left coast, I don't imagine they are open yet.
I will let everyone know what I find out.

OK kids, I have figured out exactly what my problem was. I have one gas connector, gray collar, gray cap over valve spring, and silver label that reads "GAS" that does NOT fit on the gas post of either corny that I have. However, it fits perfectly on the liquid OUT posts. So it appears as if there was a mix-up on the production line and some jackass mixed up the black "liquid" bodies with the "gas" bodies.
The other gas connector I have fits the "IN" post and the 3 liquid connectors fit the "OUT" posts, so I am sure the single gas connector was the problem. I was confused originally because I only had one corny at the house, and the posts were swapped. That really compounded the confusion.

OK, I just got off the phone with the guys at KegConnection. They are aware of the issue and are already in the process of testing all of their connectors by hand to weed out the bad ones.
If you look at the picture referenced in my previous post you will see that the appearance is drastically different between the different connectors. So this is definitely a manufacturer F'up and not KegConnection's fault.
They are sending a replacement out to me today.

hah! I saw that on there website the other day, I thought they just changed the way they look , but now thinking about it, major screw up

Back