Problem with carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsandchains

Reaction score
I am very new to home-brewing, and in fact, just opened the first bottle of my second batch from a Mr. Beer kit.

The first batch I did came out pretty good! A slight yeasty-taste, but other than that, it was tasty, well-carbonated, and looked great. This bottle I just had from the second batch came out totally flat.

I had tried some things differently, and think that I must have messed something up. After I initially fermented it in the Mr. Beer keg for about 5 days, I transferred the 2 gallons into 3 glass jugs fitted with airlocks for another week. After that, I bottled, waited another week, and then tried it, and it was flatter after having been in the bottles for a week than it had been when I bottled it a week before.

Anyone have any comments/critiques?

If you added priming sugar at bottling, it will probably just take a little longer to carb. up.
Store them at~ 70F if you have a spot that warm and give it a couple more weeks.

If you didn't add priming sugar, then you need to.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

thanks! I checked the temp where I had been keeping my bottles, and it was around 60 deg. I had used priming sugar, and I hope that moving it upstairs (~70 deg) will help it recover! I guess time will tell...

Dont touch it for three weeks you now know the hardest part of homebrewing the waiting!
I crack the first bottle at three weeks at 70 after 1 week in the fridge and than I dont touch them for another 2 weeks at least and always leave the bottles in the fridge for at least a week.

60F is a little cool. Some strains will take a while to carb at that temp. It will catch up, no worries.

I haven't bottled in awile but when I did I let it go 3 weeks before cracking one open. The hardest part is waiting, thats why I keg.

thanks for all of the advice. When I bottled most recently, I used a couple plastic bottles, and I checked one this afternoon, and after even just one day of being in 70deg, the bottle is getting firmer! Whew!

Back