Problem with Bitterness in Spiced Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiGravShawn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I tried my first fruit/veg/spice beer yesterday and it's pretty bad. It's a pumpkin spiced ale and when I racked to secondary I couldn't really taste the pumpkin pie spice so I added another 1.5 tsp. Also it was way over my original estimate of OG. I knew it would be higher as I didn't account for the pumpkin sugars, but WOW it's like 7.1% and tastes hot and thin. Plus, there's this non-hop bitterness that reminds me of how dried cinnamon can be bitter, but without much aroma from the spices. I know after some time beers mellow and become drinkable, but the fact it may be the bitter spices is new to me. D

Does anyone have any experience with spices mellowing? It did 10 in primary, 14 in bright tank, then it's been bottled about 21 days. I really want this to be drinkable by Jan, but since it's in the bottle I can't even blend it without tons of work.

Latest posts

Back