Problem pitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryh654

Reaction score
Today I did a Fat Tire clone and at the very end had an emergency and had to pitch the yeast at 85 degrees. What problems is this going to have with my turnout? Thanks for the help.

Maybe a few off flavours due to the high temps, but if the wort was thrown on ice or in the fridge and cool down to temp before the yeast went from replication to anaerobic cycle it should not be noticeable.
You got to hate those brew day interrupts.

The bigger question is what did you do about the temps after pitching?? 85 isn't too warm to kill the yest and if you got the temp down before it kicked in, you prb have nothing much to worry about.

Well after I pitched the yeast I put my carboy with my others and I'm sure it cooled down to 70-72 quickly. Also, when I woke up this morning I had a nice head of fermentation foam and my airlock was bubbling so I think it turned out ok. Thanks for the help.

Back