Probe Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblakely

Reaction score
I am looking to find a good probe thermometer to give me constant tempreture readings through the boil. What should I look for? What do you like? Any recomendations?

Thanks in Advance
Matt

I don't mean to be a smartass (well, maybe a little), but if it's boiling, the temperature is 212 minus a degree or two for every 1,000' elevation above sea level. No thermometer required.

However...a means of measuring temperature is quite handy when cooling the wort prior to pitching, and it's REQUIRED if you're going to do any mashing.

For a quick read, I use a cheap digital thermometer that came free with some other brew equipment. It's similar to this one:

proaccurate.jpg

You can also get a calibration thermometer they are accurate but very fragile and they contain poisionous alcohol so you don't want to break it in your wort. And you must be very careful with it.

Then get a cheap digital thermometer and note how much the digital varies around the most frequently used temps.
Say 125, 150, 175 and 200 then you can extrapolate for the temps between your measured marks. Or if you have 1 or 2 temps you are trying to hit everytime note those exact temps and the variation between the digital and the calibration thermometer.

The calibration thermometer is great for adjusting the reading on bulkhead type thermometers.

After you make notes or adjustments put the calibration thermometer up for safe keeping.

Back