Primo RO Water Refill at Walmart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at:

Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System for Home

600 gpd. means 0.42 gal/min., which seems workable. The thing that worries me is that it looks like they use proprietary filters, so if the company goes **** up... The other thing that worries me is that they don't spec. a TDS after filtering.

(Sorry for the thread hijack. More on topic: I also cart a dozen single-gallon water bottles through the grocery store, and feel like I'm a survivalist who should also be stocking up on dried goods and beef jerky.)

Definitely recommend sticking with systems that use standard cartridges to provide both the best possible pricing and flexibility (like if you decide to upgrade an element like the membrane from one manufacturer to a better one). Competition matters!

Cheers!

My experience with RO water from Wal-Mart is that it tasted salty compared with the RO water from other dispensers in the area. I have five businesses with RO dispensers in the area to choose from and use the four that aren't Wal-Mart.

If you're filling a rig with 20 gallons of RO the typical small pressure tanks that come with most kits really don't help that much...
But you can start collecting RO water, in a large enough vessel, a day (or 2) before brewing.
You need to make your yeast starter too a few days before brew day, so just plan your water too.

Or you could get a large enough pressure tank, so you can brew any time at will. When the tank is full, the RO system will stop generating automatically.

Of course all of that is possible at cost plus space, but given I have the tiny tank for faucet duty and can put 20 gallons in my rig in under 5 hours - without using any of the stored RO in said tiny tank - that's good enough for me...

Cheers!

@Buckeye_Hydro, looking at your systems... wanting this for brewing only, do I need a RODI system or would a RO work fine. What about the Chloraguard Stage? Our water service does add chloramine at the level of 1.8 annual running average, whatever that means... Thanks

This one works for me. I brew ten gallon batches and start cool collecting water day before with no problems.

Attachments

• 121BB455-4510-4CC5-A7CC-9BC0526A5AB8.jpeg
    121BB455-4510-4CC5-A7CC-9BC0526A5AB8.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 41
@Buckeye_Hydro, looking at your systems... wanting this for brewing only, do I need a RODI system or would a RO work fine. What about the Chloraguard Stage? Our water service does add chloramine at the level of 1.8 annual running average, whatever that means... Thanks
RO only - not RODI for this purpose.
You'll want to add the chloramine option.

I can feel people looking down on me as I lug 15 single gallons to the front.
Jeeze all this time I thought people were looking down at me because of my "DEPLORABLE" T-shirt, I never thought anyone would care what's in my cart.
I'm lucky that the town water here is pretty good, but I do buy distilled when brewing lagers and IPAS and I'm making water adjustments.

This is a topic with the reef saltwater tank community where the stakes are much higher due to the sensitivity of very expensive corals. Are a reef hobbyist, thus crosses over to my brewing habit. Here are some thoughts.
to repeat myself, small amounts of trace elements can wipe out tens of thousands of dollars of livestock in coral reef tank so the hobby takes this most seriously

1. many reefers report success with walmart RO water. While RODI (Reverse Osmosis Deionized) at 0TDS (zero dissolved solids) is the standard, the Walmart RO is sufficiently low in TDS to use in a reef tank.

2 while a full set up is good, a portable unit under $100 that hooks up to a kitchen sink faucet or a washing machine connection is all you need. I have one such unit that is rated 75 gal per day and I make 5 gal of rodi @ 0 TDS in about one hour each week. Keep in mind this is RODI at 0. An RO unit should be faster.

3. if you have hard water you can add some cheap pre filters to the unit to ease the workload of the RO chamber. Saves you money and time.
4. Spend a few dollars for an inline TDS meter. They usually are an option with the unit but can be easily added to an existing unit. It takes the guessing game out of when to replace cartridges. I have a dial probe, one just before the DI and one right after so I know how both my RO and my DI are doing and because it’s for corals know precisely the TDS.

with my cheap unit and making 5 gals weekly and an extra 5 gals monthly my unit goes a little more than a year before needing to replace my cartridges. 3 years on the more expensive on (off hand I can’t recall if that’s the RO or 5he a DI)

Summary, Having a unit in the house is a game changer for ease. You don’t need to spend more than $100 for a suitable unit (my TDS meter confirms this). Walmart is reliable if you don’t mind lugging water home.

Fwiw, my local water is fairly neutral. I use the mid points of the most recent water reports and add the salts to reach my desired water profile. That results in, IMHO, extremely good beer, if I do day do myself. Mind you I have Clean slate water on hand to start with on brew days but I find it easier to use the tap (and the calcium sulfur mg etc that comes with it) and adjust accordingly. It’s not precise but I am not going to argue with my taste buds especially if they tell me not to make for extra work.

Hope this helps.

It may be a regional thing, but I've never actually seen an RO or distilled water dispenser in any Walmart (or any other grocery store) around here. They do sell 1 gallon jugs of distilled water for 82 cents each.

I recently decided to jump in to water chemistry. Our city's water report was useless for brewing water info, and contacting the water department was even less helpful. Our city water supply is drawn from 3 different reservoirs throughout the year, which would require 3 separate Ward tests and knowing when the sources are switched. I considered a LaMotte test, but decided to just buy an RO system for home.

Even if I could locate an RO dispenser, having an RO unit at home is way easier and more convenient than lugging gallons of water home.

I am questioning this water refill station have RO unless they have giant tank in the back room but I doubt it…I will thing the 5 gallons jugs might be RO …
Just a thought

Does anyone get there brewing water from one of those Primo RO Water refill stations at Walmart? Seems like a good deal at .37/gallon but as with anything from Walmart, quality can be questionable. I'm worried that it may vary from one store to the next. Anyone ever get a water report on that water?
Mike

I have not read through the full post here. My experience with the Walmart RO machines around here are they are essentially useless. I was pulling more TDS from their machines than I pulled from my unfiltered home city water. When I looked at the last serviced dates on the machines the most recent one was 2 years ago. I quit going there and use the Glacier machines at Publix. They service these monthly. Most TDS I've ever pulled is 1. Home is around 50-70 unfiltered. Walmart was almost 80 TDS. I'd have to recommend purchasing a cheap TDS meter when using those Primo machines.

Edit: Yes I contacted Primo and they weren't even aware these machines hadn't been touched since 2018/2019

I built my RODI myself, i wanted to start with nothing and ill add in minerals myself, but I wanted a clean slate. Now dont get me wrong, I left some RODI water in a lowes bucket for 2 weeks and opened it up and it was literally eating the plastic bucket slowly. So if you do go DI, make sure you are adding salt and minerals as soon as possible, cuz DI water will eat metal just as easy.

Not in the new house we live in but the old House, we installed an RO system and it was busted within 6 months, because the municipal water was so hard the membrane just got destroyed. @Buckeye_Hydro it was a GE system.

I Use the gallon jugs of distilled water in my brewery since it's only a one gallon brewery. If I went back to to 5 gallon batches I would just get an inline water filter from the faucet to the kettle.

My local Whole Foods has bulk water, Reverse Osmosis and De-ionizsd water. The RO has <6 ppm, de-ionized has 0 ppm. I consider them to be close enough to distilled water that I treat them as such. I contacted the company that services the machines and they confirmed my expectations.

How well and how often are the primo machines Wal-Mart serviced? If you are concerned, get a ppm meter and chlorine/choir a mine test strips and see if they come back low enough for you to use.

what does the DI in RODI stand for?

Deionizing. Strips the very last teensy bit of minerals that get through the membrane. Results in highly caustic H2O that is excessively "pure" for brewing purposes...or pretty much anything else, aside from maybe aquariums...

Cheers!

we installed an RO system and it was busted within 6 months, because the municipal water was so hard the membrane just got destroyed. @Buckeye_Hydro it was a GE system

Yep - just like hard water leave deposits at your faucets, and pretty much any where else it touches, that same scale will be laid down by hard water INSIDE an RO membrane. It clogs the membrane. When this happen we say the membrane has been "scaled." You can use an acid based cleaned to remove it but that process not practical for residential-scale membranes.

Water hardness and RO membranes don't get along. On commercial RO systems where the membranes can be very expensive, hardness is removed with a softener before it reaches the RO system.

Russ

Deionizing. Strips the very last teensy bit of minerals that get through the membrane. Results in highly caustic H2O that is excessively "pure" for brewing purposes...or pretty much anything else, aside from maybe aquariums...

Cheers!

Is deionize water different from distilled water? If so, how.

I assumed that deionized water & distilled water were the same (H2O - nothing else) the difference was the process that got the water to that condition.

I mentioned in another thread that I once brought home supposed RO water from a Walmart machine, and it immediately turned milky-white when StarSan was added. I've never had that happen with water company kiosks such as Culligan.

YMMV with those machines in stores. The water from those is only as good as the periodic maintenance done on the machines (i.e., timely replacement of filters). I have measured some of that water, showing TDS levels up in 3 figures ppm.

Most supermarkets can't even be bothered to fix their shopping carts. You think they have time to carefully watch their water machines? Especially with so many places being short-handed on help these days?

Get a home RO filtration system. Around $150--it'll pay for itself in a year or so, and you'll know what's in your water. Plus you won't be schlepping jugs of water from the store.

The latest Ward Labs report for my tap water showed 600 TDS, so I'm assuming that affordable home RO is out of the question. I did send a sample from the local Culligan kiosk to Ward which came back with a TDS of 17. As Buckeye_Hydro mentioned above, I assume that this figure may fluctuate a bit according to the maintenance schedule but I've been happy with their water. Just wish I didn't have to schlep jerrycans up and down the basement steps.

The latest Ward Labs report for my tap water showed 600 TDS, so I'm assuming that affordable home RO is out of the question. I did send a sample from the local Culligan kiosk to Ward which came back with a TDS of 17. As Buckeye_Hydro mentioned above, I assume that this figure may fluctuate a bit according to the maintenance schedule but I've been happy with their water. Just wish I didn't have to schlep jerrycans up and down the basement steps.

If you get a 97% rejection rate, your RO water would have a TDS of 18, which is fine.

The water from the machines is fine as long as they are serviced; you can check that every time when you fill up with a cheap handheld TDS meter.

Honestly man, this site is very very helpful and the people on here genuinely want to help. Ive been on another site that has to do with DE-STIHL-ING and god so many egos and people who just know it all. This is a refreshing site to be involved in

So I custom build and install RO systems In Nebraska. TDS is usually around 800ppm. Super hard too.

RO machines can run fine on this water. If you have a water softener the membrane can last 3-5 years. If you don't, change your membrane every year.

It's not about how much a system is, the main things that matter are the type of membrane and pressure. The Dow Filmtech BW60-1812-75 is my go to. Lots of research and calling companies. If anyone wants to upgrade or change out their membrane I can send you a free flow restrictor to match it.

Good choice! The (now) DuPont Filmtec 75 is a good one - low testing pressure (50 psi) and high rejection (99%). Nothing matches it. The trick to getting a reasonable life span in the presence of high hardness is 1) softening the feedwater if possible, 2) or running it with a ~4:1 waste water to purified water ratio. That's where that flow restrictor BrewersVocation mentions comes into play.

Russ

I had home RO water and changed it out for a good filter. It takes out solids Ang chlorine but leaves minerals. The waste from RO water is ridunculous and the pressure tank is destined for the landfill.

I had home RO water and changed it out for a good filter. It takes out solids Ang chlorine but leaves minerals. The waste from RO water is ridunculous and the pressure tank is destined for the landfill.

Water waste can be helped with a Permeate Pump like this one Aquatec Permeate Pump - Buckeye Hydro It makes it close to a 1:1 Waste ratio and improves rejection rate. I know a lot of people don't have a tank and just use a float on there kettle, turn the system on the night before.

Yea, I totally agree it's a waste. Just depends on your goals. I know my stouts & dark beers always do better starting from hard water too!

I have a few beers that I want to start with RO. I can get it for 30 cents a gallon when that is the case. For me it beats having a home system. I have no objection to anyone having a home system. It just isn't for me.

Latest posts

Back