priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobrewer

Reaction score
When bottling my last batch I primed for 5 gallons, but since I was using buckets w/ spiggot for a primary only about 4.6 gallons made it (didnt want to stir up alot of sediment). It has been 7 days @ 65 degrees, just cracked the first one and it was very carbonated, & good head retention. Was suprised at the pressure after only 7 days, am I in danger of bottle bombs if I let them go for a few more weeks (I overhopped so they need at least another week to mellow out.. hopefully)? Cheers :tank:

Well, they might be a little overcarbed, but not in the bottle bomb range if they were done fermenting when you bottled. I usually use 4 ounces for 5 gallons. If your fg showed the beer to be done, though, don't worry about it.

You could also try another bottle from the same batch- sometimes the priming solution didn't mix all that well, and you might have some undercarbed and overcarbed. If the next one is carbonated the same way, I'd suggest cooling them all and keeping them cold if you can. The other thing to keep in mind is that co2 dissolves better in cold beer. So, if you only chilled that beer for, say 2 hours, the co2 didn't have time to totally dissolve well into the beer. So, chill one at least overnight before trying it.

I find that 7-10 days is all it takes to actually fully carb. the time after that is for aging.

unless the bottles were kept below 65 during this week. they're fine.

Back