Priming with unpitched wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjcortez

Reaction score
Going through some old recipes I came across one we really liked and want to brew again. In the notes I wrote that I siphoned off 2 quarts of wort before I pitched the yeast. I put this wort in a growler in the refrigerator until it was time to bottle. I took the growler out of the refrigerator the day before bottling to bring it up to room temperature then just added it to my bottling bucket like any other primer.

The thing is that this was over 6 years ago and I don't take real good notes. Does that sound about right? Is there something I'm missing? How do I know for sure how much wort I should hold back to pitch later?

Thanks.

Depends on the gravity of the wort and the desired carbonation. 4oz of sugar would have about 10 pts (40ppg*1/4lb), into a 5 gallon batch, that would increase the gravity by about 2pts. Figure out how much sugar (pts) you want to increase your beer with priming sugar for the desired carbonation level. -Adjust for the attenuation of your yeast/wort combo which will be different than simple sucrose (I'd WAG 75% for most "normal beers" but since you'll have your FG you can calculate the attenuation you attained).

Werbi

If you figure out how much DME you would need to carb the whole batch
then what SG that give if used in 1 litre lets say 1.040 or 40 points
then you take the OG from your worth lets say 1.050 or 50 points
50/10 x 8 would give you 40 point/litre in 8 dl worth

Numbers are from thin air so you will need a carbonation calkulator to find your numbers

Sorry guys but you're talking way over my head. I couldn't figure out how to post the recipe here so I posted the pdf file to google docs at the link below. You don't need a google account or to sign in. If you get a chance and can take a look at it I would really appreciate your comments/feedback

Nuttin' Honey

As always thanks in advance.

Thanks Revvy that helped a lot. I don't remember adding more yeast when I bottled, I may have. But this gives me another idea to consider.

realbeer.com

and another

morebeer.com

I think we're talking about two different things closely related.

morebeer forum
"Technically, "kraeusening" is adding fermenting wort, and "gyle" is unpitched wort.

Kraeusening is also good to remove yeast byproducts like diacetyl that the primary yeast was too tired to finish removing."|

I feel more comfortable with Gyle for bottling. Particularly if its a high OG wort. I think that's the way I did it before, and it worked well.

Thanks for helping me work this out.

Back