Priming with table sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew13

Reaction score
I bottle my beers still and use corn sugar boiled in a little water. I've had great results but it's kind of pricey. Anybody just use table sugar? Is there any taste difference...cloudiness...problems? It's so much cheaper and more readily available. Thanks and cheers

I switched to using table sugar about 6 batches ago as I had run out of dextrose. I have found no discernible difference in taste or appearance. I think it is definitely the way to go as you also need to use less when compared to dextrose. With the difference in cost, it's a no brainer.

Up until my last couple of batches I used table sugar exclusively (with exceptions like brown sugar in a brown sugar brown ale, etc), and have never noticed any flavors/off flavors from it. You prepare it exactly how you would corn sugar. The only reason I didnt use table sugar on my last couple batches is I wanted to try corn sugar, having never used it. I'm interested in seeing if I can actually detect any differences in the two, though i'm guessing they'll be slight at best.

I think technically Corn Sugar carbonates away with less "leftovers" and thus less taste, than table sugar, but I think the difference is probably academic as I haven't noticed a difference really, either. You use less table sugar and its cheaper, so...yeah unless you are trying to be a "purist" I suppose it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try priming with regular sugar and see if I can detect anything different. I usually prime 5 gallons with 1/3 lb of corn sugar. What would you guys suggest with table sugar?

You can use any fermentable to carb with. Corn Sugar is what most kits and many homebrewers use, but table sugar, malt extract, anything can be used. You just have to figure out the right ratio for whatever you're using.

I use different things depending on the beers. For example I prefer to use table sugar over corn sugar or anything else, for Belgian Beers and Certain Historical styles. I think it give a rockier head with tighter white bubbles.

You can use any fermentable for priming. I give detailed info on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including the link to the podcast,) and other sugars in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

i've only ever used table sugar. it works great. table vs. corn i think is a wash. you use a bit less table sugar, make sure to use the online calculators.. if you want something different, try honey or syrup or extract...

my theory as to the popularity of corn sugar is that back in the day homebrew stores and kits would instruct you to stir the corn sugar directly into the beer. corn sugar dissolves more easily than standard table sugar, so it worked well for this method. nowadays everyone has you boil the sugar in water and then rack on top of that...and both corn and table sugar easily dissolve if you're boiling the water. btw...if you want something that feels like corn sugar, you can get fine baker's sugar (not powdered sugar)...strictly unnecessary but hey

signmastr said:
You can put table sugar in a food processor, pulse it a few times = fine sugar...

That's probably overkill since I'm going to boil it. It looks as though 4.5 oz is great per 5 gallons.

Cool thread. Great link TyTanium and RainyDay! Looks like you were both thinking the same thing at the same time. Ha!

If anybody is still following this thread, I primed my chocolate stout with table sugar last night. I'll post any noticeable differences or positives in a couple of weeks.

Back