Priming with DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyjerz

Reaction score
I'm about to pull up the chart so that I can calculate how much DME to use to batch prime 5 gallons of Hefeweizen. My LHBS said I should just use 1 1/4 cups. I have read a bunch of threads on this issue and it looks like 3.5 is the normal carbonation. My issue is I'm going to be using various bottles. A bunch of sam adams 12oz bottles, about 6 or 8 16oz Hefe Weiss bottles and the Coors light Home Brew 1.5 gallon draft beer bottle. I've read and watched the videos on using the Coors bottle which is what made me want to try this. Since I'm going to batch prime I don't think there would be a problem with using different size containers or bottles but I'm just not sure. I don't want to wake up to bottle bombs and an exploded 1.5 gallons of beer.

Does anyone have any input on this subject? :tank:

My only input would be that IMO of course that DME is not the best thing to prime with...sorry but I am sugar guy. Be it corn sugar or cane sugar.

My only input would be that IMO of course that DME is not the best thing to prime with...sorry but I am sugar guy. Be it corn sugar or cane sugar.

Hummm thats the first time I've heard this. I understand some like sugar and others like DME but I havn't heard DME is not a good idea to use. From what I read it's preferred over sugar. to avoid off flavors.

I might have to put bottling on hold tonight till I can read more.

The downside to using DME is that it takes longer to carbonate your beer. There really isn't any upside to using DME. Because of the small amount used, you get no flavors from using sugar.

Yea there seems to be people on both sides of the coin. Both sides have valid points, but I guess it comes down to preference. Some say they can taste when dextrose is used and other say they like the flavor of the DME better. In either case I found some other helpful threads on this topic including one that splits 5 gallons and primes half with dextrose and half with DME. I do understand why it would take DME longer to work, which is a plus for my learning. I ended up priming this batch with wheat DME being I had it. The funny part about this is the the True Brew Bavarian Hefe kit comes with 5oz of dextrose. According to the CO2 calculation chart you would need 8.5oz of it to carb it to its recommended 3.4 to 4.48 (4.04)co2 at 66 - 68 degrees. So if it's your first time brewing one of these kits and your just following the directions on the box because it's just something to do and your not really into learning more about it, you'll end up with a low carbonated beer. Then again you probably don't have a hydrometer or know how to use it so your just cooking wart without understanding what you are doing at all.

A friend of mine is on tour over seas with a rock band and before he left he didn't have time to bottle his Pale Ale. I used the dextrose that came with the kit 5oz and the beer seems to be under carbonated. I didn't know about the co2 chart then but looking at it now it says I should have used 4.4oz of dextrose and I used the whole 5 oz. I would think carbonation should of been on the money, but there are other factors I don't know about being he cooked up the batch and I just bottled it for him. That batch did sit for over 6 or 7 weeks in the primary and there seems to be an off flavor to the beerin the back end. I'll still drink it though!

Thanks!

Back