Priming w/ DME vs. Corn Sugar...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
Hey guys I've got my second batch (Red Tail Ale Clone) in bottle now for 11 days and I know that is way too soon but I'm wondering if the 1 1/4 cup of DME I primed with takes longer than when you use 3/4 cup of corn sugar? I popped one tonight just to see where they were and it was pretty much flat. There was a slight Pssst. when I cracked it but no head and no real bubbles. In contrast, my kit IPA was fully carbonated in one weeks time using corn sugar.

I know enough to RDWHAHB but I'm just curious how much longer it takes when using DME? At what point should I be concerned that something went haywire?

BTW My bottles have been conditioning at about 71-72 degrees.

Thanks
Al

The few times I used DME to bottle carbonate it took 3.5 weeks before they were ready to drink. It definitely takes longer than dextrose. I don't worry about the time it takes anymore because I usually leave a beer in the bottle for a month before I try them. That said I only use dextrose now; it's cheaper and I never noticed a difference in carbonation from the DME.

It certainly takes longer for dme to carbonate. I learned that one the hard way. I wouldn't worry too much and wait at the very least 3 weeks, probably longer. you'll be glad you did. I also carb with dextrose, It's cheap and takes less time. I don't really notice a difference although some people say dme gives a better mouth feel.

Back