Priming the beer barrel to condition beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willangus

Reaction score
I've just brewed my first ever ale, Norfolk Wherry, from a kit that made 40 pints. The fermentation went fine and I siphoned it in the pressure barrel with no issues.

However, a week later, the beer still hasn't cleared and still tastes a little strange.

I have been reading up and it appears I was supposed to add sugar to the barrel. Should I do that now? If so, how much, and is normal granulated table sugar all right to use?

Thanks a lot guys.

I've done a bit of research and have decided that I definitely do need to add some sugar. However, as it's been a week since I put it in the plastic keg, I'm worried if there is any yeast left in it to ferment the extra sugar or whether I will just be left with a really sweet cloudy ale?

I'd really appreciate some help with this guys. Thanks.

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, Yes you can add some sugar to carbonate, and you could use either corn sugar (dextrose) or granulated sugar (sucrose).

You could use BrewBlogger - The Browser-Based Homebrew Logging Solution - Release Version 2.2 to calculate the amount of sugar to use. You will probably want about 1.75 volumes C02. Be warned, the gallons will be the inferior American gallons, and not proper sized ones.

Good luck.

-a.

Back