Priming/Sweetening Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
Well, back in early November I decided to try my hand at making cider. The goals was somehting similar to Woodchuck Amber (the Wife's new favorite non-beer). I used 5 gollons of fresh cider form the local mill and ppitched a tube of White Labs English Cider yeast. I had a great fermentation and racked it after about three weeks. Its been sititng in the secondary since then.

As stated, I want to shoot for something like Woodchuck (I know its not the best cider, but for a first attempt...it will appease the wifey). My plan was to carbonate using priming sugar (like an ale...as beer brewer, I have plenty lying around) and back sweeten with a non-fermentable like Splenda. The priming sugar for carbing is easy...but how much SPlenda do I use to give the right sweetness? Anybody able to help out on that end?

-Todd

You should add Splenda like you would Lactose: to taste. Measure out a glass of Cider, add sweetener by the level spoonful, stir and taste. Repeat until its as sweet as you want. Then do the math.

Any sweetener is strictly to taste. Since this is for your wife, get her involved. I'd setup four samples with differing levels of Splenda and work from there. Side-by-side tests are a little easier for many people.

Agreed to taste.

I use Lactose in secondary. And often use a solid pound of it per 5gallons.

Schmitz said:
Agreed to taste.

I use Lactose in secondary. And often use a solid pound of it per 5gallons.

Back from the dead. Why the secondary? Is it necessary? Will 1# per 5gal give something as sweet as say Woodchuck? I made last years with splenda and wasn't too pleased, it seemed artificial.

-Todd

Back