Priming Suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Btaz

Reaction score
Currently I gravity feed my immersion chiller. I've used a pump in the past, but from what I've discovered it isn't the rate of water that is effecting the rate at which i can chill the beer (gravity is just fine) it is the amount of wort that comes in contact with the beer. So to help things along I've been stirring with a spoon. I'm working on adding a pump into my brewing setup to make life easier on me, but I'm not too sure how to go about priming the pump. I plan to have a simple inlet and outlet pipes with 90 bends to push the water around and through the coils of the chiller. I'm not going for a whirlpool affect, at least for now, with my wimpy pump but am just trying to move the wort around the coils without me stirring. For the record i have a valve on my kettle, but I don't want to use that as I have a filter around it that I want to keep clear until I transfer to the primary. . Anybody have any suggestions of how to go about priming my setup? I know adding another valve would solve my problem, but I'm looking for other ideas as I'm not too keen on this idea as I want this idea to work with several other kettles. Thanks.

pump.jpg

I've seen something like this too. Where I could add a valve after the pump outlet and a piece of hose to stick start things. I am just a little worried about sucking boiling wort. And wonder if there might be a safer idea

Well here is what I've come up with. Everything will be sanitized before I use it. I'll open the siphon valve and suck to prime the pump. Then close the siphon valve and turn on the pump. When I'm done I'll open the drain valve and catch the wort within the tubs and place it back in the kettle. This should allow me to get the wort to move around and if I ever get a better pump I could probably whirlpool after chilling too.

chilling.jpg

Back