Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burns629

Reaction score
Has anybody had any experience using this chart Carbonation Priming Chart - Brew Your Own (BYO), the How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine to determine how much priming sugar to use?

I just recently bottled a Hefe (tastes amazing so far and can't wait to try it out of the bottle) and using the charts and style guide i decided to go with 4 Volumes of co2. after doing the math it looked like i needed to add about 220g of corn sugar. Wile measuring it out I filled one cup that brought me to 160g. Afraid of over carbing/ exploding bottles i stopped there. It looked like to get to 4 volumes of co2 I would need about 1.33 cups of priming sugar which sounded like a recipe for exploding bottles. Has anybody used this much before without negative results? Should I have kept going and ignored the directions on the package which call for 3/4cup per 5gals or was i smart to stop where i did.

I have read where people have carbed AW to 4vols (about 8oz of dextrose) and they did not report bombs. I would use nice heavy bottles; champagne bottles would be great.

Back