Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravo11

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle a batch of Belgian dubbel. My kit did not include priming sugar. I meant to order some but it slipped my mind and now 3 months later and ready to bottle and I realize I needed some.
I have a bag of Muntons plain light dry malt that's been in my refrigerator for a couple of years.
Could I use that, does it go bad? If I can use it would it be the same ratio as corn sugar? I think its normally a 5oz bag to a five gallon batch.
This batch has been in the fermenter for 4 months and I hate to ruin it when I can order a bag of corn sugar and it be shipped to me within a couple of weeks.

I would just use plain old cane sugar. I had a similar thing happened to me when I use to bottle I ended up using cane sugar in it worked great and I never went back to corn sugar again. As far as dry malt extract going bad I don't think it does. If you don't watch out it will turn hard as a rock on you.

Thanks for the reply.
Did you substitute the cane sugar 1:1 for the corn sugar.
I don't want bottle bombs

Back