Priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnomyaR

Reaction score
I've got 4 gals of stout. Do I use 4oz of priming sugar? Idk what kind it is it was in a kit. The recipe calls for 5oz with 4gals. But I hit my OG of 1.06 at 4gals

Is it that obvious?

Brewing by the Seat of One's Pants method would say, yeah, you'll carbonate your beer with 4 oz. But why use four when the recipe calls for 5 (or do you have a typo meaning 5oz for 5 gallons)? More accurate methodology is to use a priming calculator.

I used to always use that entire 5oz. packet of priming sugar that comes with most kits, and often got somewhat overcarbonated beer.Then I started using a priming calculator(I use the one on the Northern Brewer site), and now usually use between 3.5 and 4.5 oz, depending on the style.

Most beers will be pretty good using 0.75oz/gal on the low end to 1.0oz/gal in the higher end (check that on the northern brewer website to see). That is for corn sugar.

The issue with calculators is that it gives "to style" numbers, which is often not what people expect. Commercial beers are often middle of the road and don't reflect the variation shown in those tools.

Also just a point - always weigh the sugar as opposed to going by volume and always double check what companies send you. I've heard stories of people checking and finding that the kit actually came with 6+oz of sugar in a baggie labelled 5oz.

Back