Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerant

Reaction score
I read somewhere previously that you can use table sugar for priming. Do I use the same amount per gal as dextrose or more?

A little more. Most people use about 3/4 cup of dextrose (corn sugar) or malt extract dissolved in a cup of boiling water as their priming sugar, but table sugar will also work. Add one cup to one cup of boiling water.

A little more. Most people use about 3/4 cup of dextrose (corn sugar) or malt extract dissolved in a cup of boiling water as their priming sugar, but table sugar will also work. Add one cup to one cup of boiling water.

Bad advice. It is the other way around. You use less table sugar as it contains more fermentables.

I don't know what the volume equivalents are between the two, but 1 ounce of table sugar has the same fermentables in 1.25 ounces of corn sugar. Therefore on a weight basis, you would use 20% less table sugar than you would use corn sugar.

Table sugar works fine. I use it all the time.

Tasty brew calc works well for me too. Calder is right, sucrose yields more CO2 than dextrose.

I've always used sucrose but switched to dextrose tonight for carbing my Kolsch.

I take it your talking 5gal? I do 7 gal batches.

Back