Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjs6g3

Reaction score
I only have a coopers micro brew set so i do not havea secondary or bottling bucket, but what is the best way to use LD Carlson priming sugar in my situation? I'd love it if there is an easy way to do it per bottle. I also need help figuring out how much to use per bottle.

I have started to boil the priming sugar in 1-2 cups of water then stiring this gently into the barrel for about 2-3 mins, making sure to mix it up and down and getting close to the trub (within about an inch). Then go grab my bottles, hook up my filler to the tap and start bottling. It doesn't steer up to much trub and I haven't had a problem yet.

So opening the top of the fermenter to add the sugar won't harm the beer in any way?

Not as long as you're careful. You have a nice CO2 blanket covering the beer to keep most of the oxygen away and as long as you don't sneeze in your bucket or aren't working in a windy area or something and use sanitized equipment that comes in contact with the beer the few minutes you have the lid off won't be a problem.

Not as long as you're careful. You have a nice CO2 blanket covering the beer to keep most of the oxygen away and as long as you don't sneeze in your bucket or aren't working in a windy area or something and use sanitized equipment that comes in contact with the beer the few minutes you have the lid off won't be a problem.

Yeah should of mentioned to santise everything that will touch the beer, hopefully it'll soon become second nature that you will sanitise without thinking and then forget to mention it when instructing others, thanks for catching that marubozo :mug:

Thanks im gonna try that out. Should i put the lid back on after mixing in the priming sugar?

Thanks im gonna try that out. Should i put the lid back on after mixing in the priming sugar?

I do, just try to avoid any condesation dripping into the beer. Can't see any problem leaving it off if you are going to bottle right away though, as long as you don't have a cat/rat/child that would probably try to climb into your beer:ban:

Back