Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well it finally happened. I ran out of something while in the middle of doing something! So last weekend I'm getting ready to bottle my Grateful Dead Guy. I get 52 bottles sanitized, all of the equipment sanitized and am ready to boil my priming sugar. I typically use 7/8 cup of corn sugar for a 5.5 gal batch, anyway...So i get out the corn sugar and measuring cup and....2/3 cup! Empty bag. So, I improvised. I looked at a couple of carbonation calculators and came to the brilliant conclusion that 2/3 cup corn sugar plus 1/3 cup table sugar would be perfect. So, as I always do because I'm impatient, I cracked one open after one week. The carbonation was outstanding! Perfect actually. Now, I'm not saying that it doesn't need to condition a little longer but I very surprised at the carbonation. So, has anyone else every mixed priming sugars? If so, what were the results?

:mug:

Never have mixed priming sugars together on one bottle like you did, but I have filled half of my bottles with beer and used the arb tabs and then used regular sugar with the rest of them.

Glad your beer turned out ok.

Back