Priming Sugar - What's your method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefeweizen

Reaction score
It seems there are a few schools of thought on how to add the priming sugar before/while bottling:

• Add the boiled and cooled sugar solution to the bottom of the bottling bucket and whirlpool the brew in.

• Whirlpool the brew into the bottling bucket and then pour the boiled and cooled sugar solution on top.

• Add a small portion of the boiled sugar solution to each bottle before filling

So for the ever helpful and experienced brewers, what seems to work best for consistent carbing.

Thanks,

Ron

I add the boiled solution to the bottling bucket or keg and just rack the beer on top. I don't bother with cooling it first and I've never had a problem.

:mug: Same here. I try to remember to give it a gentle swirl with a sanitized spoon to make sure its distributed well. I thought I was getting inconsistant carbonation but that was early in my brewing experiences so I probably was not waiting long enough.:mug: :mug: :D

Ditto but I don't bother stirring - the beer flowing out of the siphon tube seems to stir things enough - my beers seem to carbonate equally.

Let's say that I goofed up and just poured the priming sugar into the beer as I was transferring from the secondary to the bottling bucket. Am I screwed? I poured it in at about 2 gallons of a 5 gallon batch.

Mike

I boil, then cool, then rack beer on top.

If you poured it in halfway into transferring to the bottling bucket you should be fine.

I start boiling it about half way through my bottle sanitiation process. Then I let it sit to cool a little (while I finish sanitizing my bottles), then rack the beer into the bottling bucket, and pour on top, and gently stir for about 30 secs.

blk94f150 said:
Let's say that I goofed up and just poured the priming sugar into the beer as I was transferring from the secondary to the bottling bucket. Am I screwed? I poured it in at about 2 gallons of a 5 gallon batch.

Mike

I think you'll be alright. Did you stir it at all? If you did I think your definately alright. But in the future I would dissolve it in boiling water just to be on the safe side.

No, I didn't stir it at all but there was a pretty good swirl going on naturally from the siphon tube in the bucket. No splashing though as I didn't want it to get oxygenated.

I saved my first bottle and I'm going to hang onto it so I really don't care about the quality of that particular beer. I turned it over and sure enough, there are a good amount of bubbles coming out so I'm going to guess that it's carbonating well.

Mike

Back