Quantcast

Priming Sugar - What's your method?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

hefeweizen

Reaction score
It seems there are a few schools of thought on how to add the priming sugar before/while bottling:

• Add the boiled and cooled sugar solution to the bottom of the bottling bucket and whirlpool the brew in.

• Whirlpool the brew into the bottling bucket and then pour the boiled and cooled sugar solution on top.

• Add a small portion of the boiled sugar solution to each bottle before filling

So for the ever helpful and experienced brewers, what seems to work best for consistent carbing.

Thanks,

Ron

Willy Boner

Reaction score
:mug: Same here. I try to remember to give it a gentle swirl with a sanitized spoon to make sure its distributed well. I thought I was getting inconsistant carbonation but that was early in my brewing experiences so I probably was not waiting long enough.:mug: :mug: :D

SteveM

Reaction score
Ditto but I don't bother stirring - the beer flowing out of the siphon tube seems to stir things enough - my beers seem to carbonate equally.

blk94f150

Reaction score
Let's say that I goofed up and just poured the priming sugar into the beer as I was transferring from the secondary to the bottling bucket. Am I screwed? I poured it in at about 2 gallons of a 5 gallon batch.

Mike

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
I boil, then cool, then rack beer on top.

If you poured it in halfway into transferring to the bottling bucket you should be fine.

Ooompa Loompa

Reaction score
I start boiling it about half way through my bottle sanitiation process. Then I let it sit to cool a little (while I finish sanitizing my bottles), then rack the beer into the bottling bucket, and pour on top, and gently stir for about 30 secs.

Ooompa Loompa

Reaction score
blk94f150 said:
Let's say that I goofed up and just poured the priming sugar into the beer as I was transferring from the secondary to the bottling bucket. Am I screwed? I poured it in at about 2 gallons of a 5 gallon batch.

Mike
I think you'll be alright. Did you stir it at all? If you did I think your definately alright. But in the future I would dissolve it in boiling water just to be on the safe side.

blk94f150

Reaction score
No, I didn't stir it at all but there was a pretty good swirl going on naturally from the siphon tube in the bucket. No splashing though as I didn't want it to get oxygenated.

I saved my first bottle and I'm going to hang onto it so I really don't care about the quality of that particular beer. I turned it over and sure enough, there are a good amount of bubbles coming out so I'm going to guess that it's carbonating well.

Mike