Priming Sugar Update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubcandy

Reaction score
So I wrote last week concerned that I'd made some bottle bombs (thanks for the person who turned me on to the calculator site: http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php - a great site for all you fellow noobs out there). I mixed in 200 grams of corn sugar to 18 liters (4 gallons) and was definitely worried (as that amount is well over the 3/4 cup recommended for 5 gallons). Well, one week in and no bombs yet. My question is - is it too early to draw conclusions from this? Like 200 grams for 18 liters is fine? The few bottles I stuck in the fridge early seem OK (under-carbonated in fact). Thoughts?

It seems like you would have put enough sugar in to carb to roughly 4 carbonation volumes. That is really really carbed..but I'm not sure if that will cause a bottle bomb. What you could do is barely crack open all of the bottles (til you hear the 'whish' noise) and then recrimp them. That would at least get you out of bottle bomb territory. Since it has been one week, I would go ahead and crack them all open now and re-crimp.

You could also just put them all in the fridge once it gets to the carb level you like...but the left over sugar will make your beer sweet.

I say put them all in a Rubbermaid tote and hope for the best. At least you can learn from it

Thanks, good advice all. Rubbermaid tote is the route I went actually. I just wonder if one week is past the danger zone or not? I seem to remember reading something somewhere to that effect.

Please just be careful when you handle them. A little extra shake and you might end up with glass in your eye :D

dubcandy said:
Thanks, good advice all. Rubbermaid tote is the route I went actually. I just wonder if one week is past the danger zone or not? I seem to remember reading something somewhere to that effect.

Nice, I use those totes for everything. If it pops inside of there it will be a simple clean up.

3 weeks at 70F is the norm for carbonationg/conditioning. Then at least 1 week fridge time lets any chill haze settle out,gives decent carbonation & head. Not to mention,compacting the yeast trub on the bottom of the bottles.

Back