Priming Sugar Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frostymug

Reaction score
Hello, I have a priming sugar question. I bought 5oz of priming Sugar for a 5 gallon batch. I ended up somehow with 4 gallons of beer to bottle. The question is do I add water to make 5 gallons or cut the sugar to 4 oz? Thanks.

Use one of the online priming calculators. That way you can see how much you need for the carb level desired.
The temperature the calculator asks for is the highest temp the beer has been. 4 gallons at 75 max temp. 2.5 volumes looks like 3.7oz table sugar or 4oz corn sugar.

Last edited:
Divide the sugar by the volume ratio. In you case it is 5/4 or 1.25. Since your plan was 5 ounces of priming sugar for 5 gallons of beer you should use 4 ounces of priming sugar for your 4 gallons of beer.

Don't add water. Use an online calculator to figure out your sugar amount. When I bottled, I was only doing 4 oz for a 5 gallon batch.

You might also look at why you only got 4 gallons. If you boiled a recipe designed for 5 gallons down to 4 gallons you will have a stronger beer. Then you might want to dilute it. If the beer is to your liking I would adjust your priming sugar amount. I use the calculator on Northern Brewer's website. It is in the resources section at the bottom of the main page.

Latest posts

Back