Priming sugar question???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
Was wondering how much priming sugar do all of you use per 5 gallon batch of brew? I have heard to boil it before you use, some put it in each bottle, some teaspoon it in...any help would be great.

boil it, add it to your bottling bucket, then add your beet to the bucket. I wouldn't try to add a little bit to each bottle.

For a 5 gallon batch, I use 4 ounces. I think that's around 2/3 of a cup, but I do weigh it so I'm not sure.

You boil two cups of water, add the sugar, and dissolve and boil that for a minute or two. Then cool it, and pour it into your bottling bucket. Then rack the beer into your bottling bucket. It's best to have a long siphon tube to reach the bottom of the bottling bucket, so the beer doesn't splash. I put it at an angle at the side of the bottom, so it kind of curls a little, and then the beer "swirls" to mix at the bottom as it transfers into the bottling bucket. Then I use the bottling wand and fill each bottle.

Is there a difference in boiling the corn sugar/pint of water for 10 minutes and the method you (Yooperbrew) described? Is it more suseptable to scorchiness in my method?

Back