Priming sugar/Carbonation mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieFierce

Reaction score
Usually the search feature answers most of my questions but I can't really find the answer on this one.

I bought ingredients for 3 batches at once and ordered a large bag of priming sugar to cover the job and then some. So being the total amateur that I am.... On bottling day I was measuring out 4oz of priming sugar for each batch and made the mistake of measuring it out in volume instead of by weight. So needless to say, 4oz of sugar in a measuring cup in way less than 4oz in weight.

So it's been over a month of bottling conditioning when I realize why my damn beer ain't fully carbonating. I have about 70 bottles (22oz) of 3 different awesome beers just sitting here and I'm not sure what to do.

Enjoy them as is with very minimal carbonation OR..... Add a very small amount of priming sugar to each bottle and recap? I assume it would work but are the yeast still up for the job after this much time? And if it doesn't work would I be "releasing" all of the current carbonation that I have now by cracking them all open? Or worse, jeopardizing the beer in any other way?

Thanks guys.....anyone ever make this mistake before or try this?

On a side note: All 3 batches pretty much got the same amount of priming sugar. The Wee Heavy is carbonated good enough where I doubt I'd even try it with this beer and leave it as is. The porter is mildly carbonated.... Almost acceptable but I'd like to see more carb. The Double IPA faired the worst...Practically no carbonation, some bubbles and hiss on opening but no head whatsoever. Interesting that they all responded differently, that is all.

Are the bottles in an area at least 70F? If not, get them warmer. Yes, weighing out the sugar is much more accurate but I doubt that you are that far under unless these batches were larger than 5 gallons.

Also, was it a full 5 gallons bottled or slightly less, either way I would let it ride at this point, If you were to uncap, re-prime and re-cap you would essentially be starting over again so RDWHAHB and go by weight the next time:)

Somehow, get them even warmer, shake them to rerouse them and give them two more weeks. After that you could go the priming tap route, but when re-capping them, I'd let them sit oped for a bit to degass.

The reason I suggest warming, swirling and waiting is you want to make sure what sugar is in there is actually fermented away before adding MORE.

Back