Priming sugar, boil or pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering if I was supposed to be just throwing in the priming sugar into the bottling bucket dry before bottling or if I should boil it in a couple cups of water before adding, like most kits say to do? I did this boil method with my Red Ale a couple weeks back and after sampling one from last night, the carbonation is either moving insanely slow or not at all. Im starting to wonder if I want to empty out all the bottles and re-bottle it while putting in more priming sugar or something, to think that this beer might have to be drank stale sucks......any advice?

I believe you have to boil the priming sugar in order to sterilize it -- you don't want any microbes riding into your brew on the sugar. Boiling the priming solution wouldn't effect the fermentability of the sugar, so I don't think that's your problem.

What sugar did you prime with? How much did you use? What were the OG and FG of the beer (that is, did it ferment properly)?

TheOceaneer said:
I believe you have to boil the priming sugar in order to sterilize it -- you don't want any microbes riding into your brew on the sugar. Boiling the priming solution wouldn't effect the fermentability of the sugar, so I don't think that's your problem.

What sugar did you prime with? How much did you use? What were the OG and FG of the beer (that is, did it ferment properly)?

Just regular priming sugar the kit came with, not sure how many oz. it was. OG 1.031, FG 1.011.....its def. beer but its been flat for too long, should be carbonated by now i think....

You want to boil into a syrup so the sugar will mix readily with your beer and carbonate evenly. Don't do anything to your Red for a couple more weeks. It's way to early to think that your beer isn't carbonating.

What temperature are you storing your bottles?

Back