Priming sugar advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhoussock

Reaction score
Accidentally added 5oz of sugar I was bottling to four gallons of beer I don't want bombs so I threw it in a keg instead. I realize you need half the sugar to keg condition, but I feel I can uncarb easier in a keg. What do you think?

Assuming this is an ale, you can also toss that keg into the fridge to stop the carbonation process early.

Not without knowing a lot more information. You can calculate how much CO2 should be produced by the amount of sugar you added. However, to know WHEN that CO2 is being produced so you can stop it is a little more complicated. I would think it would depend upon the yeast being used, the temperature your keg is sitting at, the alcohol percentage of the beer, and probably lots of other things.

I would aim for lower than you want. You can just force carb up to the level you want.

Hi

If you stop the carbonation early, you may wind up with sweet beer. It's an either or sort of thing ....

Bob

carlisle_bob said:
Hi

Ummm.... errr... why not just force carb it in the first place?

Bob

I was originally bottling this batch but over sugared it by accident I have swingtops so if the beers over carbed I can't really decarb it so I kegged what I primed

Back