Priming Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpg1212

Reaction score
Hello everyone. First time poster, but a long time reader. I've been able to read and learn a lot from everyone here.

I'm on my second brew. My first was a mild success, but I'm always wanting to improve. I'm doing an IPA this go-around and I wanted to try dry-hopping. I racked to my secondary after two weeks in the fermenter and put the dry hops in. I plan to leave it there for 2 more weeks before bottling and leaving for about another 3-4 weeks.

My question-When it comes to doing the priming solution, can I just mix it in? Or should I rack to my original bucket, put the solution in the bottling bucket, then rack again to my bottling bucket? I rather not transfer the beer that much, but if it is a better idea than stirring the solution in, I will.

The good news is my beer looks, smells, and tastes like beer...although it has a tad of a sour after-taste, but I'm going to chalk it up to it only be 2 weeks in. And it seems a little...strong. But that's ok with me.

Thanks guys! I look forward to contributing more.

Just add it to the bottling bucket and rack on top of it, if you already know how much beer you'll have (for correct amount of priming sugar). If you use your bottling bucket to measure the finished beer, rack it over then gently stir in your priming solution.

They also make a product called 'carb-drops' which are sugar candies designed to carbonate 12 oz bottles. They work really well and are inexpensive!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just add priming solution to the bottling bucket & rack the beer onto it with the racking tube wrapped half way round the bottom of the bucket to induce a swirl. This will help mix the priming solution. And dry hopping more than 7 to 10 days can lead to grassy or vegetal flavors from the hops.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll have to try those "carb-drops" next time when I use 12oz bottles. Seems convenient. Thanks again for the help.

Back