Priming solution vs priming each bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zapbryann

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am about a week into my first brew, and am planning to bottle here in about a week. I was wondering which was a more sure fire method to ensure carbonation during the priming and conditioning stages, a solution or filling each individual bottle with sugar.

Thanks and cheers. :mug:

Hi all,
I am about a week into my first brew, and am planning to bottle here in about a week. I was wondering which was a more sure fire method to ensure carbonation during the priming and conditioning stages, a solution or filling each individual bottle with sugar.

Thanks and cheers. :mug:

I've done a DME solution for every batch I've ever bottled, and have never been disappointed. It's also a HELLUVA lot easier.

Here's a good calculator for figuring out how much solution to make...

I bulk prime with the measured amount of priming sugar recommended by the tastybrew.com priming calculator. The priming sugar is intended to be mesured by weight on a scale. I then add it to 2C of boiled & cooled water to allow more even mixing in the bottling bucket.
Pouring sugar into each bottle can be rather uneven at best,ime. Not to mention waiting for the sugar to dissolve. Especially larger sugar crystals like table sugar,demerara,or brown. They work way better dissolved in a priming solution. Seems to get to work faster as a liquid.

Back