Priming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
I have done 3 Mr Beer batches and have always add sugar to the bottles. I did a Munton's IPA, and decide to prime this one in the bottling bucket instead. So used the 5oz corn sugar method, boiled it, then as i started my siphon i poured it in the bucket.

Does this method usually take longer to carbonate than adding sugar directly to the bottle? After 4 days I took 1 bottle, put it in the fridge for a day, and then tried it yesteray. While it tasted pretty good, it was still pretty flat. Whereas all of my mr beer batch, after about 3 days, i could put them in the fridge and have plenty of carbonation, and a good head on the beer. So just curious if this process takes longer.

No, it doesn't take any longer. The yeast do what they do on their time schedule. There are way too many variables to say what it is going on. Things change from beer to beer, yeast to yeast, temperature variables, age/type/quantity of priming sugar, etc, etc. Most of us recommend to leave it alone for 2-3 weeks.

No, it doesn't take any longer. The yeast do what they do on their time schedule. There are way too many variables to say what it is going on. Things change from beer to beer, yeast to yeast, temperature variables, age/type/quantity of priming sugar, etc, etc. Most of us recommend to leave it alone for 2-3 weeks.

Maybe every two days I'll pull a bottle out, put it in the fridge, and try it the next day, to see if it's carbonating anymore.

I just bottled an had ipa similar questions about carbing.

When you make the mix up the priming sugar does it matter if you rack in top or add it to the beer after it has been racked?

I cold crashed before secondary in and ice bath for 2 days as well. Would that affect the carbonation because of a lower yeast count?

^ I pour my sugar in first, and then rack. But if your racking first, then adding the sugar, I'd give it a gentle spin with a santized spoon just to be safe.

When you make the mix up the priming sugar does it matter if you rack in top or add it to the beer after it has been racked?

Its really a matter of personal preference. Some swear by adding if first to the bottling bucket and rack on top of it. Personally, I don't think it really matters... as long as it gets mixed in. I gently stir regardless.

I cold crashed before secondary in and ice bath for 2 days as well. Would that affect the carbonation because of a lower yeast count?

Yes, and no. It depends on if the yeast flocc'd out of suspension. But generally the yeast will drop out at colder temps. Some will remain in suspension, but IMHO, its always best to bottle, carbonate, then cold crash.

Maybe every two days I'll pull a bottle out, put it in the fridge, and try it the next day, to see if it's carbonating anymore.

If you choose to do this then you will have less GOOD beer to drink when they are ready:) 3 weeks minimum at 70F for proper carbonation and conditioning.

Back