Priming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSeibel

Reaction score
I am about to bottle my first cider and I have a question about priming. My first batch of beer I just added dextrose to each bottle however I now have a bottling bucket and will prime properly. I understand I am supposed to bring 3/4 cup dextrose and some water to a boil, then cool and add to the bottling bucket before siphoning in the cider, I also know that I should avoid splashing, etc. However how would I ensure the priming solution and cider will mix properly if I cannot 'aerate' by stiring, etc?

Thanks

Dave

The flow of the cider into the bucket should mix it up enough. If you don't think that is enough, you can always stir gently.

-a.

I like to put the very tip of the tubing in the receiving vessel (the bottling bucet) at the very bottom. Then, I "curl" it so when the cider/wine/beer enters, it "swirls" around and fills from the bottom. This works fine for me. But if you're really worried, you can sanitize a long handled spoon and gently stir. I've never stirred and I've had good results.

Pour the priming solution into the bucket and then siphon the cider. It'll mix just fine like that.

I use 2 cups of water in my boil with the dextrose, it seems to help with mixing my solution better in the bucket. I also use the "let the siphon hose swirl the mixture" technique. I did it by accident not knowing any better using 2 cups of water- then I did it right once, using 3/4 cup of water and got carbonation all over the map on that batch, so I went back to doing it the wrong way!

Back