Priming Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeart

TwoHeart
Reaction score
First off, I apologize if there has already been a thread dedicated to this topic. Nothing came up in the search regarding exactly what I am inquiring about.

Anyhow, I just used Northern Brewer's priming sugar calculator and noticed all the different options of different sugars and such used for priming. I have never used anything other than corn sugar for priming.

So, my question is, is there a general consensus that I am unaware of regarding certain types of sugars used for priming certain types of beers? Or is corn sugar the preferred ingredient for all types?

Corn sugar is preferred as its easy to find (for most), cheap, doesn't impart any flavor.

Other types can be used but you aren't looking for a full fermentation, just give the yeast enough sugar to kick out some CO2. Corn sugar is easy for them to be consumed quickly and give off that CO2 we need for carbonation.

Corn sugar is preferred as its easy to find (for most), cheap, doesn't impart any flavor.

Other types can be used but you aren't looking for a full fermentation, just give the yeast enough sugar to kick out some CO2. Corn sugar is easy for them to be consumed quickly and give off that CO2 we need for carbonation.

Thank you brother!:mug:

Also just found Revvy's link in another thread on priming options regarding this subject that was helpful.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=94812#post1030376

I generally use DME for priming which is less efficient than corn sugar. I am seeing consistent results but I do reduce the recommended amount by about 10% because I drink my beer slowly (I mean batches, not individual bottles!) and the extra time has given me some over carbed beers. I prefer less carbonation to more anyway.

Cane (table) sugar is a good option. Even easier to find (grocery store) and I think cheaper. I don't think it adds any flavors, and it's very predictable. It takes a little less than with corn sugar.

I had a bunch of priming problems with my first couple batches and so I went from little corn sugar/DME pills I got from the LHBS to tables sugar. It turns out that the pills weren't the issue, but using a bottling bucket and table sugar is super easy and convenient.

Back