Priming options. What do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxKDDxx

Reaction score
It seems like there are alot of options when it comes to priming beer. I have always used corn sugar. What do you guys think is best?

Priming sugar, a.k.a. corn sugar, a.k.a. dextrose is certainly the easiest to dissolve, measure, and jsut generally easiest to work with, but any simple sugar will work!

I use table sugar to prime many beers. Belgians, a few IPA, and some older American Styles from the pre prohibition days, like my 1909 Kentucky Common recipe.

I think in some beers it makes for tinier, tighter bubbles and a nice head.

For most of my other beers, English ales and others, I tend to use basic corn sugar.

You can use any fermentable for priming. I give detailed info on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including the link to the podcast,) and other sugars in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

I've used date palm mollasses and brown sugar before, the mollassess was a bit too intense, though other folks liked the beer. Brown is great with pumpkin ales.

Most priming calculators give the amounts for both table sugar and corn sugar.

Back