Priming My Cider Per Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcrusader

Reaction score
I am getting closer and closer to the time that I will be needing to prime my cider so I have been looking at different priming methods and sugar types.

I am going to use cane sugar plain and simply because I have a ton of it and I have heard that if i use it i should use 1/2 Tsp but I have also heard that cider needs to be primed more to reach the correct amount of carb. I may use 1/2 Tsp and then do 1/8 Tsp increments up to 3/4 tsp.

Please let me know what you guys think. (I will be adding directly to the bottle and then shaking the bottle to disolve the sugar)

Do you have a bottling bucket? You will get much more uniform carbonation if you use a bottling bucket. Either way, figure out the total amount of sugar you will need, mix with about 1 cup of water and boil it, then cool and add to your cider. You want to sanitize it. IMHO, corn sugar would be better than cane sugar

Last night I bottled. 9 and 1/2 beers. 1/2 tsp of cane sugar per bottle... wish i would have put the sugar in first... it fizzed up when i put it in.. making it hard to cap.. also... my caps look like they went on badly... but they dont leak... soo I will leave them i guess...

I add sugar to the bottles since i don't carb the entire batch. I just stuck a funnel in my champagne bottles and dumped about 1/2 a tablespoon of dextrose in (very scientific).

Lots of people carb per-bottle using cane-sugar. Its not the best method, but probobly the most common with newer brewers.

The issue with cider is it ferments slower then beer, and as you said, cane-sugar contains slightly more co2-potential then corn-sugar. So 1/2 tsp is probobly the perfect amount. It will allow for a buffer in case the cider is still slowely fermenting.

nick

so add a 1/2 teaspoon to each bottle of cider? just wondering this will be my firs time also

Kris said:
so add a 1/2 teaspoon to each bottle of cider? just wondering this will be my firs time also

Yep... I would add it before you put in your beer or cider though... it will fiz.

Let it fizz and come back later to top off your bottles. I will let you guys know how it goes and if I have any more advise after I crack a few.

Yep... I would add it before you put in your beer or cider though... it will fiz.

Let it fizz and come back later to top off your bottles. I will let you guys know how it goes and if I have any more advise after I crack a few.

What size bottles are you using with the cider ? I'm about to bottle my fist batch and can adjust sugar /bottle size once I know the size you used with that
amount of sugar.
thanx j.a.c.

Latest posts

Back