Priming just one 6-pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodawg

Reaction score
About a year ago my boss gave me a ton of equipment (about 3K worth) to get started brewing. He did ask that he get a 6-pack of whatever I brewed. Since I keg all of my beer, I'm wanting to naturally carb just enough for his 6 pack, then I force carb the rest in the keg. So my question is, how much priming sugar should I add to each bottle? Thanks for the help.

Beers,
Ken

Or:
siphon off enough for the 6-pack into your bottling bucket and mix in the right amount of sugar (beer priming calculators ask you the amount of beer you're carbing)

or:
prime the whole thing, bottle some and naturally carb the keg as well.

"We don't need no stinking beer gun" is probably the winner.

+1 on the beergun link via RC0032... sounds like this'll be an ongoing thing for every batch you make!

You could use carb tabs too, but a lot of folks have mentioned on the forum that it can leave "chunks" of undissolved tablet in the beer.

Well technically if you are going to prime 72 ounces (6 12 ounce beers) of beer you will need somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/2 ounce (.50625 ounces) of dextrose to carb the beer properly. This is using the same ratio if you were carbing a full 5 gallon batch (640 ounces) with 4.5 ounces of priming dextrose.

So.... To answer your question throw a half ounce of dextrose in a pot with 2 ounces of water and boil that until the dextrose disolves, cool and rack on top of it.

Oh and since you keg you probably know about volume measurements of co2, this measurement will give you 2.5 volumes of co2 if the bottles are given the proper time to carb and the proper head space.

I think it would be MUCH easier to just dispense uncarbonated beer from the keg into bottles and add Cooper's carb drops. Do shove a piece of racking cane into a cobra tap and fill from the bottom up to minimize oxidation though.

Bottling carbonated beer is a PITA (for me, anyway).
Measuring and boiling tiny amounts of priming solution would suck too.

My votes:
#1 BMBF I use it often and love it
#2 Carbtabs they do however leave some floaties, i think it's the glossy exterior that has a tough time dissolving...

+1 on BMBF.

Coopers carb drops don't leave any floaties that I've ever seen. I've only heard of that with Munton tabs.

I remember my old mr beer kit came with a bottling sugar measureing thing that had 2 sides, one for a 12oz and the other for a 22oz bottle. If you are really looking for just a sixer, this may be a good options to get just the right amount.

Edit: here it is - Welcome to MR.BEER® - Sugar Measure

69-LRG.jpg

Back