priming individual bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamebow

Reaction score
how much corn sugar per bottle (16 oz) if i wanted to prime just a few bottles instead of a whole 5-gallon batch?

it would be helpful if the amount could be in fractions of a teaspoon, rather than by weight. i don't have a scale that accurate.

thank you.

I wouldn't recommend this. You'd need less than the amount from an eye dropper droplet. It's too hard to get that small of an amount...

jamebow said:
how much corn sugar per bottle (16 oz) if i wanted to prime just a few bottles instead of a whole 5-gallon batch?
Do yourself a favor, and pick up a bag of carb tabs. They are basically little pellets of sugar you drop in the bottle. I keg nearly everything, but I like to bottle a six pack of each batch, just to stash away for posterity. It's a breeze to just drop a single Cooper tab in each bottle, a lot easier than trying to accurately measure and dispense tiny amounts of corn sugar.

those carb drops are about the size of a cough drop, right? that's not a fraction of a drop.

c'mon. i've got the corn sugar right here. i don't any carb tabs. it's raining out and the LHBS guy is a dick.

anybody do this?

OK 3/4 cup for 5 gallons.

5 gallons = 640 oz

3/4 cup = 36 teaspoons

I figure .9 teaspoon per bottle

I know i saw a measuring spoon that measured out the correct amount for 12, 16 or 22 oz bottles. I think it was at austin homebrew but i don't see it there now.

beerdad said:
OK 3/4 cup for 5 gallons.

5 gallons = 640 oz

3/4 cup = 36 teaspoons

I figure .9 teaspoon per bottle

This is about right although I'd shoot for the low side of that (maybe 3/4 tsp or something?)...

It's still not the preferred method, but its definitely not the "fraction of an eye dropper droplet" or whatever was said above, either.

The preferred method would be the carb tabs and/or to carb your keg and bottle from it with a bottle filler (Biermuncher bottle filler suggested...)

It is going to be really hard to measure those out properly. Too much and you risk bottle bombs. Too little and your beer will be flat. Be careful and good luck.

beerdad said:
It is going to be really hard to measure those out properly. Too much and you risk bottle bombs. Too little and your beer will be flat. Be careful and good luck.

What he said, but if you insist... I would at least definitely using a measuring spoon and not a normal tablespoon.

Also, if you plan to do this in the future, spend the $3-4 and buy the priming spoon someone mentioned above. I'm sure some of the online vendors have these...

Back